Page 1 of 1

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:10 pm
by Trinity
Browsing today I came across the dvorak keyboard layout, an alternative to QWERTY. I had never heard of it before, though it is supposed to be a lot better for typing english. Has anyone had any experience with it, or tryied out any other keyboard layouts?

[url="http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/index.html"]http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/index.html[/url]

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:51 pm
by Josh
I've never seen this before...

I personally would never use a keyboard like that lol, I would never get used to the keys...I'd end up typing the words in jibberish because I'd be so used to typing normally :\

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:49 pm
by mobil1_oils
Looks pretty wierd, that being said i'd still be willing to give it a try, but i'm still too used to the qwerty keyboard.

One question, where on earth did they get the "dvorak" name from? :s.

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:38 am
by Endo
I personally dont think id cope trying it now, anyway. Isnt this keyboard common in other countries? Im sure the german girls translator keys arnt qwerty, although it doesnt show ('s:]> etc, the key layout is much different.

[quote name='Dvorak history']In the 1920's and 30s, August Dvorak and William Dealey designed the "simplified" keyboard now known by Dvorak's name.[/quote]

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:38 am
by mobil1_oils
Ahh, so thats where dvorak comes from...

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:33 pm
by radar
Like josh, I too would be typing jibberish.

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:42 am
by Trinity
It makes some good points, there are lots of words that are typed with one hand on QWERTY:

- opinion
- reward
- agree
- fact
- greater
- regard

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:10 am
by Endo
Heh wow they are to!

Dvorak keyboard

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:17 pm
by radar
And one word typed with only one row of the keyboard "typewriter"