Page 1 of 1
Web Design Competition
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:00 am
by Sylo-X-
What do you guys think?
Web Design Competition
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:42 pm
by Vercz
in theory: yes, sounds like a great idea..however, you will need to post pretty strict design requirements (color, amount of pages, nav info..etc) and you will need to allow at least a week, probably more for each entry
ill leave comments open to everyone else though /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />
Web Design Competition
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:28 pm
by NightStorm
Not to mention the part about original content (no templates), and figure out who would be judging the competition.
What would the definition of "best design" be based on?
Web Design Competition
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:39 pm
by Sylo-X-
I would say an open poll like we do for the banner and wallpaper compititions.
And yes, Original content. No templates.
The theme would be something to do with killanet. Like a fan site sort of
Navigation would have to be at least 5 links
and the sites should be judged on Navigation, Overall design, Colors, and the effort put into it
Web Design Competition
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44 am
by deejay_hr
Reviving this thread simply because I am intrigued by the idea. I'd be in the competition for sure. Would this even be considered?
Web Design Competition
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:10 pm
by Marko
Hmm, I must have missed this topic first time around, because I have no recollection of it.
Anyway, not sure if this will get started, but it would be interesting. I'd also enter because I have more free time since I'm on holidays.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:42 am
by ner0
I think it's a good idea, though it's dependent on people having the time to do it!
I'd say the best way to do it would be to have simply the *design*, i.e. judged on aesthetics only, not functionality (as that'd take ages)
if it goes ahead, I'll try & find time to come up with something for it /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
EDIT:
I'll make this topic a poll, so we can see where people stand.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:18 am
by Marko
A poll, what a good idea. /LSHIC.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
Yes, it should probably be judged on aesthetics, that way it would save time on making/judging it.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:38 am
by Sylo-X-
lol i posted this like a bajillion years ago. it takes you people that long to get serious about something? haha
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:14 am
by Tami
lol...no, we just have other stuff going on, deals being made behind closed doors for things for KillaNet, software for the site being tested, hated and tossed, new designs, new content, new directions etc etc etc.... /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Web Design Competition
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:55 pm
by Sylo-X-
lol i was joking. I know you people are busy /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Web Design Competition
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm
by Tami
I know you were joking - otherwise you'd have gotten the /stare.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(stare)' /> face /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:03 pm
by Electrix
here's to the web design contest! besides, you all know I'd own you anyway /brows.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(brows)' />
*runs from the broom*
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:24 pm
by Josh
It wouldn't surprise me actually leccy.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:30 pm
by ner0
[quote name='Electrix' post='42042' date='Nov 24 2007, 09:03 PM']here's to the web design contest! besides, you all know I'd FAIL AT owning you anyway /brows.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(brows)' />
*runs from the broom*[/quote]
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:37 pm
by Sylo-X-
So back to all seriousness. We have at least six people that said they would enter. Is that enough to take the idea seriously yet? Im excited about it.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:13 pm
by Electrix
Even if we don't run it here, I'd run it. Sounds like an awesome idea; I just entered in one over at opendesigns.org for the new design of a hosting site.
and hush penguin. *goes to play some game that involves beating up penguins on the arcade*
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:00 am
by Tami
Yes it's under serious consideration - I've just been busy doing other things. So, if we were to actually start a design contest, what should the prize be if someone were to win?
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:18 am
by Sylo-X-
I thought about the prize last night. Now of course this is just an idea I had but if we advertised this contest and got a bunch more people to join, and the prize was say a month of free hosting, it could be pretty good advertising for killahosting a possibly bring in more members... just an idea of course...
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:58 pm
by Marko
lol, I just remembered that I won the Killanet birthday competition a year ago, which gave me 1 year of free hosting, but I never collected. /LSHIC.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
No need when they provide me with free hosting as is, which I'm very thankful for btw. /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(nod)' />
In saying that, if Tami is able to give away a month or whatever time period of hosting, we should make the design about something that we can use as a website, rather than just a random website design. That way, Killanet gains something out of it.
To advertise, perhaps a sig could be made, which users can attach to their sig space in other forums, and I'm not sure If Deviant art allow advertising, but if they do, that could be a good way to get some members from there.
That is, if this idea goes through.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:40 pm
by Sylo-X-
Yeah that would be cool. Then not only is killanet benifiting but then it sets a color scheme and content for it so its easier to judge.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:11 pm
by Josh
advertising on dA is expensive 0.0
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:16 pm
by Marko
Didn't realise you had to pay for advertising. I don't visit DA very often so I didn't know. It was just an idea.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:51 pm
by Electrix
I could offer some sort of hosting and I thought of offering a website but it's a webdesign competition and I doubt the winner needs a website made. /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />
Maybe look for some sponsorship? Companies go crazy for stuff like this, just depends on how big it is and how much exposure it earns them. I doubt there's enough time left in the collaborative KN time bank for mass exposure, though.
Who would judge? I would offer to do so, but I want to enter /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />
Just my 2 cents.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm
by Sylo-X-
well time wise i would be willing to volunteer some of my time to help get the word out. Also as far as judging goes, what about a poll like the wallpaper competition? this might be a too broad of a competition for a poll and you know people who enter will vote for their own entry but its just an idea. But if it a killanet site that would be being designed it would probably be best to have the staff judge, those who dont enter of course.
Web Design Competition
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:42 pm
by Tami
I am definitely liking the idea, and we could probably afford to give away some hosting space. Of course I could be totally evil and have the first design be the flash intro I need for Digital Storm /lmfao.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lmfao:' />
...I've been working on it....sort of....but home renovations and getting my parents moved to their new house takes priority for this week at least. /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Web Design Competition
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm
by Jim
I keep telling you, if ya buy me a plane ticket I'll come paint for you /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> really I'm quite good at it.
The competition sounds like a good idea, until I manage to find more of that free time stuff think I may stick to the judging side. Unless we go with a poll, not sure how well that would work, maybe put up some guidelines as to what makes a "good" website and then let people chose what they think after that? *shrug*
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:58 pm
by Twister
i may be late on this but yeh... the competition seems like a good idea to start again...
Web Design Competition
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:18 pm
by Electrix
[quote name='Jim' post='42100' date='Nov 29 2007, 05:09 PM']I keep telling you, if ya buy me a plane ticket I'll come paint for you /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> really I'm quite good at it.
The competition sounds like a good idea, until I manage to find more of that free time stuff think I may stick to the judging side. Unless we go with a poll, not sure how well that would work, maybe put up some guidelines as to what makes a "good" website and then let people chose what they think after that? *shrug*[/quote]
I doubt a poll would do it justice, I'd go for more a panel of set judges. If that doesn't permit, a poll is the next best thing.