Page 1 of 1

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:22 am
by Josh
These are the spiders that crawl around in my house...in fact, there's one in the bathroom behind the toilet and one in my closet as we speak. /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

[url="http://www.killanet.net/uploads/Spider%20004.jpg"]http://www.killanet.net/uploads/Spider%20004.jpg[/url]
[url="http://www.killanet.net/uploads/Spider%20005.jpg"]http://www.killanet.net/uploads/Spider%20005.jpg[/url]
[url="http://www.killanet.net/uploads/P1100606.JPG"]http://www.killanet.net/uploads/P1100606.JPG[/url] (excuse the crayon....kids are so well behaved in this house.)
[url="http://www.killanet.net/uploads/P1100607.JPG"]http://www.killanet.net/uploads/P1100607.JPG[/url] (again...the crayon)

Is it wrong that I'm paranoid?....

/d

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:44 am
by Gadget
i cant look, im the worlds worst arachnaphobe.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:56 am
by Paradox
Woah, huge spiders there! Rather scary, must be terrible to live in your house.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:02 am
by Shydragonchic
[url="http://www.whatsthatbug.com/spiders.html"]Check Here[/url] they have good pictures, several pages of different spiders to help you identify them.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:18 am
by Josh
Seems as if I've identified them... Here is the website's response to a person in Missouri (Just south of me actually)

Dear Jim in Missouri,
Your photos are beautiful, and Wolf Spider was a good guess. There is a family closely related to Wolf Spiders called Pisauridae or Nursery Web Weavers. Comstock writes "No more striking instance of maternal devotion is to be found among spiders than that exhibited by the nursery-web weavers. From the time the egg-sac is made until the spiderlings are ready to emerge, the mother carries about with her, wherever she goes, this great silken ball with its load of eggs or of young." Comstock later writes "Most of our common species of this family belong to the genus Dolomedes. Several of these are of large size and often attract attention." One type is known as a fishing spider and there are species which can dive under the water to seek prey or refuge. Regarding the genus Dolomedes specifically, Comstock writes "The spiders of this genus frequently attract attention on account of their large size. They are most often observed near water, or in marshy places, but sometimes they are found in cellars or other dark and dry situations." I'm guessing your specimen is either Dolomedes tenebrosus or Dolomedes scriptus.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:42 am
by to@ds
Now thats some big ass spiders to have in your house. Here in the UK we dont really have any big spiders, which is probably a good thing because I wuss out at the site of the small ones we have hear. How can you sleep at night knowing youve got those things crawling around. That fishing spider sounds pretty scary too, I hope they dont go fishing for toads :s

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:50 am
by Josh
hmmm only one way to find out *catches one and puts it above to@ds*

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:55 am
by Gadget
[quote name='to@ds' post='33310' date='May 27 2006, 07:42 PM']Now thats some big ass spiders to have in your house. Here in the UK we dont really have any big spiders, which is probably a good thing because I wuss out at the site of the small ones we have hear. How can you sleep at night knowing youve got those things crawling around. That fishing spider sounds pretty scary too, I hope they dont go fishing for toads :s[/quote]

Preach brotther preach.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:56 am
by to@ds
*Shrieks like a small girl*

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:19 pm
by Gadget
*slowly walks away* /animatedfear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(fear)' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
by Tami
I dunno, Gadget....Michael (another crazy staff member) is rather...afraid...of spiders too.

To@ds, I bet Mike screeches louder than you when there's a spider around. He once stood on top of his headboard because there was a spider on his floor! Of course, he was only about 6 at the time...but as I am his mom, I can remind him of that episode for many years to come bwahahahahaha...... /brows.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(brows)' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:04 pm
by Gadget
well i sort of hyperventalate when i see them.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:05 pm
by to@ds
God I know that feeling Tami, Im 22 and my mother still does it to me when my friends or the missus is round at my house.

"Yes Mum, we've all heard the story of how you dressed me as a girl once because I had really curly hair as a baby and took photographs, and no they dont want to see the picture of me as a toddler on the beach "releaving" myself in the sea!"

Hmmmmm, maybe that was much information.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:22 pm
by Tami
ROFL...but those are the kinds of moments we parents cherish, to@ds...it's payback for every time you kids embarassed us in public /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> /lmfao.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lmfao:' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:40 pm
by Jim
.<

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:51 pm
by to@ds
[quote name='Tami' post='33332' date='May 27 2006, 09:22 PM']ROFL...but those are the kinds of moments we parents cherish, to@ds...it's payback for every time you kids embarassed us in public /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> /lmfao.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lmfao:' />[/quote]

I hear what you are saying Tami, but what you have to remember is that its your kids who decide what Old Peoples Home you go into as well /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:55 pm
by Josh
OHHHHH To@ds pwned you there Tami! /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:31 pm
by NightStorm
Yeah, but wouldn't it just suck if the kid's inheritance were to suddenly be spent on personal trips, or donated to that favorite charity?

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:48 pm
by to@ds
Then the kids have an even better reason for putting them into such a cheap home!

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:49 pm
by Josh
hahahaha.... Face it. You parents have no win here /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:27 pm
by Tami
but then, there are always the pix we have of our children...that they don't know we have /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:56 pm
by to@ds
True, true, but like you said before, we know how to show you up in public. Even at 22 I can still lie down on the floor, in the middle of a shop and start screaming and thumping the floor.

Hey, maybe I should try that some time, that way I wont have to save up for an xbox 360. Temper tantrums, here I come! (I wish!)

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:03 pm
by Vercz
hm... back to the spiders, i have one comment...


ive seen bigger /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:36 pm
by Marko
lol, aslong as I know that the spider isn't venomous I have no problem with it. Its not the spider i'm afraid of its the venom lol.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:01 am
by Tami
[quote name='Vercz' post='33343' date='May 27 2006, 11:03 PM']hm... back to the spiders, i have one comment...
ive seen bigger /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />[/quote]


Yeah, because we all know that Aussieland is full of strange ..... animals......

/whistle.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(whistle)' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:57 am
by Gadget
i saw on a program once, that dunnies in the desert or w/e have big massive venomous spiders in them, that hide in the toilet, and when you sit down they kill you. *shudders*

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:08 am
by to@ds
Yeah I think I saw that one, Im pretty sure its Black Widow spiders that do that, cus they like the coolness and moisture inside the toilets.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:59 am
by Gadget
Why do you think i have never been to australia? /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:54 pm
by Tami
'cause you're afraid of the roos?

*runs*

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:57 pm
by Marko
the roo's are nice, its the drop bears you gotta wory about /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Yeh redbacks(black widow) are pretty frequent near my house lol.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:45 pm
by to@ds
Drop bears.....................hmmmmmm

*Thinks about a 12ft grizzly bear up a tree, waitting to drop down and scare old grannies, laughing as the grannies run off waving their shoping bags*

Drop bears.............hmmmmm

*Edit* I just realised, this is my 200th post, yay! Shame its taken me two years to get it, hahaha. Its quality, not quantity, but then I say that to all the girls /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:49 pm
by Vercz
yeah... thats basically a drop bear.

and hoax was right on the money by saying red-back spider. nasty little sods they are.

Aren't these spiders cute?

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:18 am
by Tami
*puts out some sugar to lure the drop bears*