Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Post Reply
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

I'm running windows XP Home, awhile ago I noticed that when I right clicked on my CD icon to eject the CD, the system froze and I got a window popped up that was the "windows Explorer must close" then the DrWatson debugger will pop up, (both ask to send the error report). I only use the CD to save files on and sometimes this will happen and others it wouldn't, so at first I thought maybe its something with the CD its self.. But now it happens on a regular bases,, but its now gone farther than the right click on the CD....
I now have No programs running and want to create a zip folder to send to sp3,,so I right click the folder on my desktop to click "send to".. but! the windows explore error returns and then the DrWatson error,, needless to say the whole system freezes, I see nothing in the task manager.. so I'm stumped and need some direction, in fact the only way I can close windows is in the task manager "Shut down"

Is there a DLL or a file that corrupt? Has anyone had this problem before?

/huh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />
Last edited by turtleman on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Well I did find the problem so I first tried to re-registar the bad DLL "regsvr32 shell32.dll", that didnt work so I got another DLL..........BUT!

When I try to download it to replace the bad dll I get this screen; thing is no other programs are open except my browser, and I've tried it with the browser closed also and tried to copy it from the desktop;
[img]http://www.rsigrowers.com/images/SS01.gif[/img]

So second step is I can use my XP CD and look in the i386 folder and find the shell32.dll and copy it to the windows\system32\dll.cache... BUT

I find the dll on the CD, but I try to copy it to "windows\system32\dll.cache I cant find any dll.cache in that tree, or is there another folder?
[img]http://www.rsigrowers.com/images/SS02.gif[/img]

sfc /scannow pasted in the runline gives me this. At the end of the search it just goes away and I'm at the desktop or screen I was on;
[img]http://www.rsigrowers.com/images/SS03.gif[/img]

I asked this on another forum,, and I thought I had it fixed, but I really need to get this folder off to sp3 and this friggin thing happens again /annoyed.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />
Last edited by turtleman on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
FlyingDoggyJake
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by FlyingDoggyJake »

I'm not quite sure that I understand your problem here, but just a thought... try downloading the shell32.dll to a folder outside windows (I recommend your root drive ..ie. C:\) and then click "start" "run" and then type in "msconfig" and then click "OK". When the window pops up click on the "BOOT.INI" tab and put a check in the "Safemode" box and then click "Apply" and "OK". Then restart your computer.
Once booted up, copy or cut and paste the shell32.dll to the root\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.
If this succeeds... reboot and then click "start" "run" and put in Regsvr32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\shell.dll" and click "OK" .... I'm thinking that this last step is likely unneccessary as the shell32.dll is so central to the functions of windows that windows would likely automatically register it automatically at start up.

Then of course you'll have to run "msconfig" again and uncheck the "Safemode" box and on the "General" tab select "Normal Startup"

The thing that I'm wondering here is how your shell.dll got damaged in the first place and how you came to the conclusion that it is the culprit?
Last edited by FlyingDoggyJake on Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Thganks for the reply Doggie!... LOL

I got the shell32.dll loaded in the cache,, and everything seemd to work fine,, right up to the point of ejecting my windows CD,, once I right clicked the CD to eject I got the windows explorer must close box pop up again,, so I went back and re-did everything again,, but this time I didnt try to eject and CD.... I opened up windows media player,, that worked for about one minuet,, then the same window popped up, and the poor lill DLL was trashed again.. So I'm like.. HUH?

How it got damaged in the first place? good question!,, I have NO idea!

Heres the window that keeps comming up;

[img]http://www.rsigrowers.com/images/SS011.gif[/img]

Then I click to see the error report, in the upper right corner is the bad file;

[img]http://www.rsigrowers.com/images/SS012.gif[/img]
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
Jim
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by Jim »

I had this problem once, ended up doing an "upgrade" of windows and reinstalled it. Didn't loose any data or installed programs. Have you checked for viruses recently? Only thing I can think of that might cause this.
Love is all a matter of timing.

It's no good meeting the right person too soon or too late.

If I'd live in another time or place...

...my story might have had a very different ending.
FlyingDoggyJake
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by FlyingDoggyJake »

[img]http://members.shaw.ca/palacemonkey/turtleman1.jpg[/img]

Perhaps a screenshot (or description) of what shows up after you click that would be helpful.
ImageImage
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Hey Redrum, good to see yaz... I'm really at a loss to explain why this happened,, You'll have to trust me on this, that I know my system is clean. its something I pay close attention too,, I'm hopeing I wont have to do the whole re-install but at least I have the CD to do it with! LOL

NOW HERES THE Stranger thing!!!!!!

are you sitting down??


I go back to after I've replaced the DLL for the 4th time,, then I come back here and read Doggies request of the next screenshot.. all the next window is a repeat of the data thats in the first part of the window.. well anyway,, I go back to my desktop and right click any of the folders there...............

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> It friggin worked!! LOL

So now I'm trying to crash the bloody thing so I can get the next screenshot for you!!

I've loaded a CD and played the media player but it hasnt trashed yet..

stay tuned!! It wont last I dont think..

each day passes and I loose more and more trust in MSN products

&*%$@^!%#^ windows !!! /stare.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(stare)' />
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
FlyingDoggyJake
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by FlyingDoggyJake »

LOL.... well at least it's currently working ..... cherish this moment /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
ImageImage
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

[quote]well at least it's currently working ..... cherish this moment[/quote]

YEP.. and thats what I think it is,,, a "moment"
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Like I said it was just a Moment!!!!

This needs to get fixed,, REAL BAD!!!!!!.. I have work I cant get done

The Screenshot shows just the sig of all dll and theres around 3000 of them!! you can see from the size of the scroll bar its all the same data
Last edited by turtleman on Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
Marko
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 12:12 am

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by Marko »

i know this is prob the last thing you want to do, but make backup copies of everything you need and then format the hdd, it doesnt take that long maybe two to three hours or maybe less (includes installing xp), so that way you could get it fixed sooner then to keep searching on the net for answers and you would able to get more work done.

just my 0.2 cents.
Image
Jim
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by Jim »

If you recently installed a program or a piece of hardware, that could be causing the problem. If you notice the error, it's an application compatibility error so something is conflicting.
Love is all a matter of timing.

It's no good meeting the right person too soon or too late.

If I'd live in another time or place...

...my story might have had a very different ending.
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

I cant make a back up because I cant right click anything without crashing windows, hence the problem....

I dont have any new programs that I havent had on here and use in the last 2/3 years.. I do agree that something is trashing the DLL,, but what?? how do I go about finding whats damaging the DLL
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
FlyingDoggyJake
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by FlyingDoggyJake »

I'm sure there's some reason why you haven't done this, but what about system restore?
Did you try clicking "Run" and then putting "sfc /scannow" in the box and clicking "OK" ?
ImageImage
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Yep done the sfc /scannow, I've tried the restore but it dosent seem to matter, it gets restored to the restore date,, but its another windows applacation the just trashes the DLL, so each time I restore it just gets damaged again...

I called DELL Support because they installed the windows and MSN wont troubleshoot it because DELL did the install,,, Needless to say.. DELL is stumped also,, after an hour on the phone there best call was to tell me theyd have to look into the matter and call me back ! LMAO,, like thats going to happen!

As of right now I'm having to think about useing my FTP and send all my programs to my host/web site/servers then reformat the HDD and re-install XP then download from my sites.. but IF I do that I know I'll still loose stuff,, I know theres things on here I dont know how to access from my FTP.. Like all my favorites in IE and Firefox... All the programs I have I buy them and I always have the system disk to them,, even if I download from a web site I order the CD........... So I also know my bandwidth will go wacky.. LOL /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' />
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
mobil1_oils
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:42 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by mobil1_oils »

Copy your IE favourites to FF aswell (It will put them in "Imported IE Favourites" folder, then the subfolders you had in IE). Then go into firefox, go to "Manage Bookmarks > File > Export" then choose somewhere to save them, it will save it in .html format, that way you can upload them to your FTP and redownload after reformat. As for the other things i'm not too sure, maybe someone else has some ideas?.
Last edited by mobil1_oils on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingDoggyJake
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by FlyingDoggyJake »

Something else you could try is to click "Start", "Run" type "msconfig" then click "OK" and then click on the "Startup" tab and take a look at what's all listed there.
Here's the logic... by using "sfc /scannow" Windows should restore itself to an undamaged state. However you said [quote]but its another windows applacation the just trashes the DLL, so each time I restore it just gets damaged again[/quote]Windows in an undamaged state should not damage itself; it would seem to make sense that the source of the problem lies in some third party software. As well, because it damages without running any program in particular it seems to make sense that the damaging program is registered to start at windows boot up. So, I would try unchecking suspicious programs and then run "sfc/scannow" again and reboot.

Outside of that, all I can think of is to reformat /cry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
ImageImage
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Its good each of you that have helped think logiclly,, when I was on with DELL we shut all other applacations off at start up, the problem still is occuring I was able to get sp3's folder off to him when I was in "Safe mode",, but when I'm not in safe mode as soon as I right click............ well you know! /yeahright.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(yeah)' />

I'm beginning to wounder if its even a real software problem,, I think we can all agree its another applacation besides windows itself,, all the scans tell me windows is fine untill the dreaded right click,, then the shell32.dll problem...

Besides start up,, how can you check/test all the other programs to see if their the ones causing the problem??

I've done sys defrags and sys checks,, so how can I tell if its a hardwear issue??
Last edited by turtleman on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
FlyingDoggyJake
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by FlyingDoggyJake »

considering everything you've checked, it would make sense to me that it is a hardware issue. Other than the device manager (ie. "Start", "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware" tab, "Device Manager" and then going through the list and Right Clicking (woops you can't) .... okay nevermind that .... hmmm, well this seems to be looking rather grim turtleman... it looks like it's time for drastic measures. In other words... reformat and if that doesn't work, take it in for servicing. I'm afraid that's all I've got left turtleman .... however there are bigger brains out there than mine, but mine is stumped /cry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
ImageImage
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Fear not Doggie!! LOL... my brains mush by now.. LOL and I have to look at it this way,, DELL and the Techs at the elder geek are stumped to... seems I special! LOL /bow.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(bow)' />
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

Thanks Everyone... it got to the point that I had no right click at all so backing up current work was a real problem,, what I had to do was use my FTP to send everything over to my host/servers,, then at the last minuet I lost my FTP,, so after I did a re-install I couldnt get any of my programs off the server!.. LMAO, everything was stuck out there,, I finally just had to laugh at all of it.. Its a good thing I pay for all my programs and save the keys/passwords, otherwise I'd be up chits creek without a boat!, so far the only thing I've lost are allot of the favorites links
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
FlyingDoggyJake
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by FlyingDoggyJake »

Well it's good to see that you're in such good spirits about it all ... [url="http://home.hvc.rr.com/gijoe/media/helpdesk.wav"]some people aren't so relaxed about such matters[/url] /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
ImageImage
turtleman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right Click Locks Windows XP Home

Post by turtleman »

/shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' />

Well.. I'm to old to get that worked up,, that dude really needs to take some chill pills. The thing really is, theres no reason to get upset about something you or anyone else has no control over,,, and if you take two steps back from anything you'll see none of us has any control over anything.......... /good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(Y)' />
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.



Image
Post Reply

Return to “Windows Help”